Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Week 3 "Called to Love as God Loves - Unconditionally!"

"Why are you trying to do all this alone?..."This is not good!" his father-in-law exclaimed. "You're going to wear yourself out-and the people, too.  This job is too heavy a burden for you to handle all by yourself.... They will help you carry the load, making the task easier for you.  If you follow this advice, and if God directs you to do so, then you will be able to endure the pressures, and all these people will go home in peace."  Exodus 18: 14b, 17, 22b-23

Our final week in this series is called "Supporting one another".  What a wonderful way to wrap up this study of learning to love as God loves. 

Have you ever taken on a task, job, project, or life-stage alone?  Take a minute to really recall that time and your mental, physical & emotional state during and afterwards.  How did it work out for you? 

In this lesson we look at how Moses was trying to be teacher, leader, jury & judge for all of the Israelites.  I am often that for my three children and I find it tiring - I can't imagine doing it for an entire nation!  He must have been exhausted and not had much time for his family or himself.  Thank goodness God sent him some wise advice through his father-in-law, Jethro.  Wise advice not only for Moses, but for all of us. 

As you read 'empowering others' and 'biblical reflection' based on Exodus 18: 13-26 think about all the different areas of your life where Jethro's advice would be helpful.  I'm sure you've heard the saying, "if you want something done right, do it yourself".  I tried this and found it counter productive to the way I want to live my life - with some time to do something other than housework!  And while things aren't always done 'my way', at least they are done and I can do something else.  Don't get me wrong, there are some things that I insist on doing myself, like folding laundry even though my finger is jammed and in much pain!  But, choosing a few things to 'do myself' is better than trying to do it ALL!  There just aren't enough hours in the day! 

We are called to live in community, and when we do this we need to offer support to each other.  Creating an environment where we empower, rather than undercut, one another is part of loving our neighbor and ourselves (have you ever realized you sabotaged yourself? I have!).  As you read the passages in 'for further reflection' you will find several people who were embraced in an empowering environment.  Consider the varied ways this environment was created.  We are all individuals and require different styles of encouragement & support.  And offer it in our own unique way, too.

This final lesson offers lots of food for thought as we bring to a close our Spring Bible study session.  Thank you for joining me over the last 5 months of growing closer to who we are in Christ.  Supporting one another and loving as God loves brings together all we have revealed over this time together.  Although this Friday is our last in-person meeting of the Spring, I will continue to post over the summer months.  I hope you will engage in a conversation, in person and via this blog, to keep the community we have created alive & vibrant!   I plan to revisit the two books we have read, "It's No Secret" and "My One Word", so keep them handy.  Keep your One Word in front of you and share how you are doing with it.  I am going to ask, you know!  I can't wait to hear (read) how your word is having an impact on your life.

Your Partner in Ministry,
Shelly (honey)

"Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."  Proverbs 16:24


No comments: