Friday, July 19, 2013

Congratulations! Proverbs Read-Along Wrap Up

"There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!"  Proverbs 31:29

WOW!  Go ahead, read that verse again, you deserve it.  You have read all 31 chapters of Proverbs over the last month!

What did you think about the last few chapters that seem to repeat earlier sayings and ideas, but often in a slightly different way?  Not much different than today's way of getting an important message or concept across to the general population.  Repetition!! 

For those that don't know, my oldest daughter plays softball.  She's been a catcher for 12 years and has her sights set on being recruited to play in college.  A lofty goal, I will admit (prayers welcomed), but the reason I digress is this: I talk a lot about sports and sport metaphors in my daily life.  I'm not a sport person, I'm a book person, but when one is around something for 12 years, it starts to become a part of you.  So, the other day I was with some dads during a practice.  They were talking about hitting, different techniques, etc. and changing a girls' swing.  At first she doesn't like it - it feels strange and awkward, but with repetition it will eventually become the new normal for her.  The number 1500 was thrown out, in that it takes 1500 repetitions to change muscle memory.  1500 times of doing something new the same way to make it a natural part of what you do!  Let that sink in...

Did you notice the repetition within Proverbs?  I don't think any one thing was repeated 1500 times, but there is definitely repetition throughout the book.   Without doubt King Solomon was not only a wise leader, but a skilled teacher as well.  As we read through all 31 chapters, we read many of the same lessons over and over again.  The more one reads, the better chance the lesson will become a natural way of life.  And if a child is taught these from an early age, it IS his or her way of life. 
Now, I'm not saying we should follow every word of Proverbs, but there is great wisdom within those pages, even for us in the 21st Century, or perhaps especially for us.  

I don't want to forget to particularly mention Proverbs 31, "the sayings of King Lemuel, an oracle that his mother taught him." Proverbs 31:1.  When I was young, I had the idea that the Proverbs 31 woman was a good wife who submitted to her husband, cooked, cleaned, and was a good mother.  I did not want to be a Proverbs 31 wife.  Clearly, I had not read the book at that point!  The woman described in this chapter is a good wife, yes, but she is also a business woman, she's wise, talented,  kind and strong physically, emotionally, and spiritually.  But most importantly, the thing that sets her apart from others is that she is a "woman who fears the Lord" (P:31:30b),  She is what we would consider a "modern" woman - she can 'bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan and never let her husband forget he's 'the man' (Am I showing my age?).   While some speculate that this is not a single woman being described, I can imagine that she is!   And what a role model!  While I fall short on most of the qualities of a Proverbs 31 woman on any given day, I hope, that when I look back on my life, I can say that I came close to her example over my lifetime.


I hope you have enjoyed this quick read through the Book of Proverbs.  When people say things like, "I need an instruction book for living" or "I wish babies came with instructions" I usually answer, "Read Proverbs!".  It won't solve all the problems or answer all the questions, but it's a pretty good place to start.   
Combine that wisdom with Jesus words, "The most important commandment is this:  'Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is the one and only Lord.  And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.  The second is equally important: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' No other commandment is greater than these." Mark 12:29-31, and you're pretty well covered for life! 

Being a Christian, I believe that Grace is what saves me, not living by any particular rules.  But, life is about living in this world and doing what's right, making a living, and getting along with others; teaching our children and staying out of trouble ourselves.  And I think that's the role of Proverbs: helping a Spiritual community make sense in the real world of temptations and short cuts and difficulties.  Used as a tool to navigate our lives with the values that God has given us, Proverbs can help lead us down the right path.

Next week I'll post a little something about what's next for "Re: A Small Group Experience for Women" both in person and here on the blog. 

Have a beautiful weekend and stay cool!

Your Partner in Ministry,

Shelly - honey

"Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."  Proverbs 16:24

No comments: