Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Java with the Judges - Week 5

"When her son was born, she named him Samson.  And the Lord blessed him as he grew up.  And the Spirit of the Lord began to stir him while he lived in Mahanehdan, which is located between the towns of Zorah and Eshtaol."  Judges 13:24-25 NLT

Welcome to week 5 of Java with the Judges!  Congratulations on your perseverance.  This can be difficult material for a number of reasons.  The first: we don't really hear about these characters outside of heroic Bible stories in Sunday school.  The second: in Sunday school we mostly focus on their heroic deeds, and rightfully so!  But, as we read these stories in their unrated entirety straight from the source, we learn that our Heroes were also very Human.  It's a bit like peeking behind the curtain!

How we use that knowledge is what strengthens our Faith and, I think, why these stories of flawed, but faithful leaders were included in our modern Bible.

This week we read the PG13-rated version of Samson!  I can only imagine what this would look like as an Hollywood movie!  Given the sex and violence, it would probably be a blockbuster!  Mankind hasn't really changed much since ancient Israel, has it?  And if that's true, what can we learn from Samson's story?  A lot!

This week I had the opportunity to do the entire study in one sitting (thanks to a nearly 2 hour wait at the car dealership)!  I have to admit, it was a bit much to digest.  So many contradictions in Samson's life made my head spin.  He was a hero empowered by God since before he was born, with restrictions on how he should live.  He followed most of them, but he had character flaws - he liked sweet things and fine women.  He broke his restrictions to satisfy his "sweet tooth", not once but many times!  Despite this, and using this, God delivers his people from their oppressors through Samson.

What does that mean for us?  I use to think I couldn't possibly be used by God because I wasn't a 'great' Christian.  I would resolve to be a better person, but fell back into old patterns and wasn't consistent in living out my 'new' life.  Because of this, I thought I couldn't possibly be a leader or a teacher.  Thankfully, that is not a Biblical concept!  As we've been reading throughout the book of Judges, and especially here in the story of Samson, God does not need or even want 'perfect' people, He wants faithful, willing people.  He can use anyone to accomplish His plan.  In fact, He can even use our weakness!

One verse in particular that I found very interesting is Judges 15:20, "Samson led Israel for twenty years during the days of Philistine prominence." (page 113).   So, despite his antics with his first wife and all the murdering she caused him to do (30 men in 14:19, an unnamed number in 15:8 after burning their wheat fields, vineyards, and olive groves; and he killed a thousand men with the jawbone of a donkey in 15:15-16).  After all that, he ruled for 20 years!  And seemed to have his desires under control.

Then he goes to Gaza and his old habits return!  His earthly desires cloud his judgement and he looses sight of God's plan.  In a twist on the "Cycle of Misery" on page xiv, it is not the people who cry out at the beginning of the story, but Samson at the end, "Samson called to the Lord, "O Master, Lord, remember me!  Strengthen me just one more time, O God, so I can get swift revenge against the Philistines for my two eyes!" (Judges 16:28, page 101).  God delivers His people by raising up Samson as a judge and delivers Samson the Judge from his personal captivity.

Falling back into bad habits, forgetting a good habit, losing sight of what we know is right, satisfying ourselves rather than making the better choice to follow God: been there, done that, will probably do it again!  Thank goodness God forgives those who call upon Him!!  And we have these stories of flawed, but Faith-Filled judges to remind us of that.

There are many things we can learn in Judges 13-16, but my favorite is found on page 114 of the study, "Even our flaws can't thwart God's purposes."  When I understood that message for the first time, I heaved a great sigh of relief!  Reading these stories reminds me of that consistent, divine message.

If you're having a tough time getting through the study guide, jump to Saturday's conclusion and read Friday, because it fills in some important background information on exactly what Samson was (a Nazirite).

Comments: I love 'em!!  This week, let me ask you: how does this reading of Samson differ from what you knew about him before this?  How does his story help you live a life dedicated to God?

Happy Valentine's Day! "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.  For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him" John 3:16-17 NIV! 

Reminder: we will begin "My One Word" on February 28th!  Who will you bring?

For those who attend in person:  Given the snow that may be coming Wednesday night, please check your e-mail before leaving for our gathering Friday morning.  As always, safety first!

Your Partner in Ministry,
Shelly
honey

"Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."  Proverbs 16:24 




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, ladies. So I want to hear your answers to question 5 of Thursday: "Are you using your womanliness in an unwholesome way to attract attention to yourself and satisfy your ego? If married, how can you use that same influence positively to satisfy your husband?" MMMmmmm. Can't wait to discuss. ~Janice

Shelly said...

LOL, Janice! I once got us out of a speeding ticket because I was knitting in the passenger seat and the officer's wife does the same thing on long trips :) He gave us a warning and sent us on our way. Does that count as satisfying my husband using my womanliness?

Shelly said...

My favorite lesson from this reading is above in the post, but there is another, more subtle take away that I like, too. For years I have been saying that our children learn, not only what we teach them, but what we allow them to learn. For example, if we teach them to put their dishes in the dishwasher/sink after a meal, but allow them to get up whenever they are finished to do so, we are allowing them to learn that it's okay to leave the table in the middle of dinner to put their dish away, even if no one else is finished. It seems like a good thing to teach (clearing their place), but without guidelines and discipline, it becomes a distraction, rude, or a way to get attention. Just the other week, my little one brought this home in a very surprising way: while at the dentist, she was almost happy to hear she had a cavity because she could come back to get more prizes! The hygentist (a good friend of mine), the dentist and I were shocked at what we had inadvertantly taught her! Then & there we told her that having no cavaties would win her 2 prizes, since she wouldn't have to come back. I also allowed my kids to learn that if they "get mom talking" they get more time to play with their friends! Kids are smart!!
At the beginning of our story, Samson's mom receives the message of his impending birth and his life's purpose, but when she conveys the message to her husband, she leaves out that last & very important part! She's excited for herself but forgets to mention that Samson will rescue Israel! Throughout Samson's life, he does great things for Israel (through God's empowerment), but repeatedly sins to satisfy himself, forgetting his role in God's plan. I wonder if his mother allowed him to learn the attitude of indulgence? Unintentional as it may be, the lesson was learned and Samson lacked the discipline his vocation called for. We are not perfect, nor does God want or expect us to be. But once I realized that my children were learning things unintetionally, I tried to pay more attention to my children's behavior and figure out how to curb the less desirable traits - it was often by changing myself and what I allowed in our home. I'm not a strict disciplinearian, but if what they were allowed to learn was negative, we worked to change it.