Thursday, January 22, 2015

Thinking about Lot's Wife

"16 When Lot still hesitated, the angels seized his hand and the hands of his wife and two daughters and rushed them to safety outside the city, for the Lord was merciful.   26 But Lot's wife looked back as she was following along behind him, and she became a pillar of salt."  Genesis 19: 16, 26

"She'd almost grown accustomed to the faint smell of sulfur in the air. Dropping into the inviting porch chair, Lottie pointed herself toward the mountain and began rocking in a steady rhythm.. As the sky darkened, Lottie was lulled to sleep by the sounds of nature all around her and the assurance that when the sun rose, so would she..."  Bad Girls of the Bible, pg 65.

Why are we so attached to our possessions?  That's a question for the ages - obviously!  Even way back in Genesis, Lot's wife, Lot, and their daughters, had a hard time leaving behind the life they built, despite the warnings of immanent danger and death.  I'm not sure it was just the 'stuff' they mourned, but everything they knew:  friends, memories, a way of life and all that is familiar.  It's hard to leave that behind, even when we know it's for a better future.

My husband's job has moved us a few times over the last 20+ years of marriage.  I'm the adventurous type, so I never really minded the prospect of living in a place where I didn't know anyone.  Behind that spirit of adventure lies the fact that we'd be doing it together - we had each other.  And, our stuff!  In our new home, we would still be surrounded by the familiar.  It's comforting that we could always 'take it with us'.  Even once we had children, who were less eager to leave their friends, they found comfort in the fact that their stuff (their bed, their toys, their books, & pictures) would be waiting for them at the new place.

Leaving it ALL behind!?  That is not such an exciting adventure.  From the story of Lot, we can see that they didn't think so either.  Despite the wickedness of their city and the warnings, they had to be dragged from their home!  Can you imagine?  When we look at it through the fictional story of Lottie, I think we can.

The Study Guide questions in the back of the book are thought provoking!  Give yourself permission to spend some time with them, think in ink as you go.  Since there's not much room in the book, grab your journal or even a sheet of paper and write out your answers and thoughts to the questions.  I find when I slow down to write ideas become clear, lessons sink deeper, and change happens.

One thing that I found fascinating, and kind of mind boggling, is the amount of bargaining that goes on in this chapter!  This behavior is touched upon in question 1b, but is examined further in the workbook.  Let's take a look:  Ms. Higgs points us to Genesis 18: 23-33, where Abraham pleads with God, and she asks, "what does this tell you about Abraham?  And what does it reveal about God?"  Bringing it into our own lives, she asks "was there a time you interceded for your family, asking God for mercy?"  I have heard both amazing stories of salvation and stories of 'I'm still praying for them'.  What's your story?

Ms. Higgs questions then go on to ask why God spared Lot and his family, giving 2 Peter 2: 4-9 as a possible Biblical answer (and hope for us!).  She points out God's patience in Nehemiah 9:31 and asks if we've ever tried God's patience.  Me: Um, yes, I'm pretty sure I have!  Everyday!  She then directs us back to 2 Peter, chapter 3, verse 9.  What is your response to that statement?  Finally, she shows us in 1 Timothy 1:16 why the gift of grace is extended to us and asks us to rewrite the verse in our own words, applying it to our own faith journey.  I like to go back to verse 15 for a complete picture.  Either way, it's some powerful stuff!

I can't wait to talk about this chapter with you!  Won't you take a minute and add a comment to our blog.  Start a conversation about any of the questions or statements; share how you are working through this very human issue in your life or how this has effected you or your family.  You've seen (or at least heard of) the TV show "Hoarders".  Our attachment to the things of this world have grown to epidemic proportions!  Clearly this is a call to let go of worldly possessions, Matthew 6: 19 - 21  for "No one can serve two masters.... You cannot serve both God and money."  Matthew 6:24

After this chapter has sunk in, answer this question: "What's the most important lesson you learned from the salty tale of Lot's wife?"  Bad Girls of the Bible, pg 250.   How will you share what you've learned with others?

Your Partner in Ministry,

Shelly
warrior

"Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."  Proverbs 16:24




1 comment:

Paula said...

I am reminded by my son's comments before Christmas of let's not get each other so much "STUFF". We don't need it, nor want it. They are good examples of simplifying their lives and homes.
Honestly- unlike Lottie- I truly believe I could walk away from my stuff and my home if I KNEW I was in danger or the Lord called me to do so. After all, it is only STUFF, and not my life or families. While I would want to grab my recipes :) on the way out the door, I think I'd be fine. Not that I wouldn't miss some of my stuff....it really is not what matters most.
Reminded of those in the apartment fire yesterday who were grateful to get out and appreciated their families safety.Maybe this sounds easier said than done.
However- Like Lot's wife.... i most likely would find myself looking back, even when told not too. I would just be too curious! Here I see myself disobedient self... ahhhh..what could REALLY happen if I just sneak a peek???
Looking forward to the group discussion Friday.