Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Thinking about Jezebel

"Are you the king of Israel or not?" Jezebel asked.  "Get up and eat and don't worry about it.  I'll get you Naboth's vineyard!"  1 Kings 21: 7

Thinking about Jezebel over the past few days and looking closely at her behavior, I'm beginning to think that we have more in common than I'd care to admit!  Not to the same degree, by any stretch, but have I rolled my eyes at my husband's wishy-washiness and been frustrated beyond all composure by his inability to make a decision?  YES!  Oh my, yes!  Over and over again, until I threaten to take matters into my own hands.  I really feel I have the patience of Job when it comes to him (he took 7 years to research and purchase a watch!), but when the decision involves me, I'm not willing to wait that long!

Without considering her evil ways, what words would you use to describe Jezebel?  Look at her words & actions in 1 Kings 19: 1-2; 21: 7-8, and 21:15.  Can you relate to her at all, even in a very scaled back scenario?  Does she have any redeeming qualities and how could they have been used for good rather than evil?

Jezebel, and Jasmine in the fictional story, were women born into their situations.  They were raised in families that don't believe in God, but they married men who did.  If you were to rewrite this story with Jezebel & Jasmine as heroines, how would you write their happy endings?  For inspiration, read what Scripture says about how we can live in God's grace and how we are to interact with any "Jezebel's" that may cross our path.  Ms. Higgs points us to the following verses:
1 Peter 3:10-11
Romans 12:16
1 Corinthians 13: 4-5
Look to 1 Corinthians 16:13 to discover how we can be strong women and remain very much a Christian (not a Jezebel).

I look forward to reading your thoughts on this "bad to the bone girl", Jezebel!  Click here to go to the website and leave your Comments!

Your Partner in Ministry,

Shelly
warrior

"Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."  Proverbs 16:24



No comments: