Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Tasty Tuesday

"The breakfast of champions!" - Wheaties commercial

It's officially summer in my house!  My son finished his sophomore year of high school yesterday!  I'm letting him sleep in today as a reward for working hard all year!

The catch to sleeping in at our house is that you don't get breakfast.  The kitchen closes at 9 am on weekends, at 8 am during the week.  I'd like it to be earlier, but I've caved to popular vote.  Of course, that's a general rule - we often have to be on a field or in an ice rink at those times, so breakfast is earlier those days!  I choose my battles and I kind of like the quiet time in the morning on the days that aren't dictated by sports schedules, so it's a win-win.

I'm a morning person and I love breakfast!  It's said that it is 'the most important meal of the day' and I can't agree more.  I could eat a full breakfast before my feet hit the ground!  I'm so hungry in the morning, my husband knows food comes first - not even coffee, food!  Being a mother, if the kids are at the table, I will make them breakfast first.  On school days, their breakfast is first so they can get to the bus stop.  But, I have a glass of water & a cup of tea while scrambling eggs and buttering toast.

A typical weekday breakfast in my house is scrambled eggs with fruit or a vegetable (tomatoes, Brussels sprouts & broccoli being the most popular), hot tea, and vitamins.  I make THE BEST scrambled eggs, but I'll save that for another post!  My youngest hasn't fully bought in to the high protein breakfast, so most mornings she'll have pancakes or waffles with fruit and milk. Occasionally,  I will make a pound of bacon on the weekend and reheat it during the week to go with the eggs; sometimes we have sausage.  We also have "dippy eggs" (over easy to the rest of the world), poached eggs, and hard boiled eggs.  My family goes through about 3 dozen eggs a week!  That's just me and the kids - my husband doesn't eat breakfast.

We have cereal on hand, but it's not often eaten for breakfast.  Cereal has become a snack, dinner substitute (on "whatever you can find night") or post dinner meal on those days we have an early dinner and are hungry again at 7!

Weekends are for more involved cooking!  That's when I make pancakes (I love experimenting with flavors and add-ins), waffles, and French toast: a double batch so I can put the extras in the freezer for weekday reheating.  In this house we never have to "le'go my Eggo" because homemade is so much better!
Along with these warm pastries is a toppings bar.  Always start with butter - real butter - nothing fake or butter-flavored, ever.  Then choose from: table syrup, Maple syrup, powdered sugar, fresh fruits (whatever we have), a variety of jams, orange marmalade, sour cream, plain Greek yogurt, vanilla Greek yogurt, chocolate chips, apple butter, and whipped cream are the standards.  Sometimes we'll have some clotted cream or Swedish Creme left over from dessert.  We have even drizzled caramel sauce for an indulgent creation!  If you've never thought of putting anything but syrup on your pancakes, waffles, & French toast you are missing a great breakfast.  My favorite topping combination is chocolate chips (they'll melt to create a chocolate layer), orange marmalade, and sour cream.  It's delicious!

The next time you whip up a batch of pancakes (waffles or FT) let your imagination run wild!  What flavors, fruits, and condiments can you add to the batter or on top to start your morning right!  Add a side of your favorite protein & beverage to kick start your day!

What is breakfast like at your house?  I'd love to hear about your "breakfast of champions".  Go to the blog and share your favorite, typical, unusual, or unique breakfast ideas!

"Greet the dawn with enthusiasm and you may expect satisfaction at sunset."  ~Amish Proverb

Your Partner in Ministry,
Shelly 
warrior

"Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."  Proverbs 16:24


No comments: