Thursday, February 9, 2017

Encouraging & Improving our Prayer Life

"I have seen the Savior you have given to all people. He is a light to reveal God to the nations, and he is the glory of your people Israel!"  Luke 2:30-32

It has been some time since I've had the opportunity to post on the blog!  Life has a way of getting so busy, one has to attend to the most pressing & urgent matters first.  Unfortunately, those matters did not leave time for blogging.

But, today is a snow day here in northern NJ!  The kids are home, which also means I don't have work, and with high school hockey coming to a close, my responsibilities of team manager and Booster club president are winding down.  Today was the perfect day to spend some time with our new study, Prayers of the New Testament by Lynne M. Baab.  This week we are reading about Simeon and Anna, in chapter 2 of the book.

With Christmas not too far behind us, it was nice that our first 2 chapters looked at prayers surrounding Jesus' birth and appearance among humanity.  Chapter 1 focused on Mary's prayer (Luke 1:39-56)

Taking a closer look at the encounters of Simeon and Anna with Jesus & his family and specifically at the prayers, have offered another view to how these two people can influence my prayer life.

That is the main question I ask myself as I read though this study - and you should focus on that, too. How can these people and the prayers that they offer, influence my (your) personal prayers and prayer life?  How do they serve as models?  Do they stir up my faith? Do they challenge me?  What can I learn from them?  How do their prayers differ from my own?

It seems like so many questions, I know!  I encourage you to work through the questions in the study and then go back and consider the questions above.  These are the things that we will discuss in person on Friday.  If you cannot join us in person, please leave your thoughts in the comments!

In many of the studies from LifeGuide I only scan the Now & Later section and, to be candid, don't always do them.  But, in both chapter 1 & 2 of this book I really encourage you to do them!  This week's Now & Later activity is engaging and thought provoking.  And every week our author is connecting the weeks' lesson with a Psalm, which is brilliant!  A very good exercise in faith building!

Please, do not miss the opportunity to see the parallels between the Old Testament and the New Testament.

I look forward to hearing from you, either in the Comments below or in person on Friday morning.

Your Partner in Ministry,
Shelly

"Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."  Proverbs 16:24  


No comments: