Friday, December 14, 2012

SELF CONTROL

"But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Here there is no conflict with the law."
- Galatians 5: 22-23

Another wonderful discussion this morning!  In our reading David showed great restraint when faced with the temptation of taking vengeance on Saul, a man who tried to kill him many times.   The author of our study mentions food temptations which can cause us to lose self-control.   As we talked we shared other areas of temptation like shopping, Facebook & e-mail checking, having a knee-jerk reaction to a person or situation or any over indulgence  - all of these areas can cause us to examine our self-control.

Just as it was mentioned in weeks before, self-control is given to each of us, in different strengths, different situations, and we all have our own style of self-control.  Does God want us to be perfect in our self-control?  Can we have self-control in all aspects of our lives?  Personally, I have to believe the answer to that is "NO!"  God knows we are not perfect, which is why He is always with us.  Question #8 asks "If we know God is present to help us in our struggle, how can it be easier to exercise self-control?"  A well said answer: "It's always easier to do things with a partner."  Though sometimes God seems to be a silent partner (my paraphrase of the complete answer).  Our challenge then is to pause, giving us time to hear God's advice and remember His teachings.  Easier said than done, my friends!  I suppose that is why God encourages us to come together to study and worship - so we have each other to help us remember God's presence in our lives.

A few weeks ago my 4-year old had a lesson in Sunday School on Fruit of the Spirit and she brought home a poem that I'd like to include here.  Sometimes children's lessons are the best!

Fruit of the Spirit Poem

Today I learned
Jesus is the Vine
With Him I grow
fruit very fine

Love and Joy and Peace
are three
of the fruits
Jesus wants from me

Patience, Kindness
Goodness too
These are the things
Jesus wants me to do

Faithfulness, Gentleness
Self-Control,
These are the fruits
Jesus wants me to grow


I think that sums it up nicely!



IMPORTANT NOTICE:    Our first meeting in 2013 will be on January 11th at 9:15 am.

We will be reading It's No Secret: Revealing Divine Truths Every Woman Should Know by Rachel Olsen. Copies can be purchased on-line at Proverbs 31 website, Amazon.com (please use the portal on the Redeemer website) and at nearby bookstores. 
Read chapters 1 & 2 for the 11th.
We'll be jumping right in to this fantastic study! I can't wait!!


Your Partner in Ministry,
Shelly

 
 
As I type this I have seen the breaking news of the shooting in a CT elementary school and through my sobbing, my heart cries out to the Lord, "WHY"!!!???  I pray for the children, the parents, the community and everyone near and far who is touched by this horrific tragedy. 

No comments: