Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Fruit of the Spirit - Week 8 - GENTLENESS

"But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Here there is no conflict with the law."
- Galatians 5: 22-23
"A gentle answer turns away wrath; but harsh words stir up anger."  ~ Proverbs 15:1

I am so excited to be thinking and talking about Gentleness, especially at this time of year!

Please, please, please, if you don't have time to read and do the study questions, at least read the passages in the Bible for the lesson.  1 Thessalonians 2:1-12 and 1 Peter 3:13-16 (I know, it says 15-16 in the book, but 2 more verses won't cost you more than a second and it seems better to start at 13).

The dictionary says gentleness is: considerate, a kindly disposition, amiable, not harsh or severe, docile, of good family, noble.  The passage in 1 Thessalonians 2:1-12 agrees with that, but takes it a little further, I think.  Jot down some ways gentleness is described in the reading.

My habit is to sit down and do the readings & questions all at once. That's how it works for me; but the thing I really like is that the scripture rolls around in my head all week.  As I go through my daily chores and running around, God's word is working in my heart and head.  Sometimes, study questions that stumped me come to light - sometimes not :)  But I go through my week with His teachings close to the surface.

I encourage you to read the passages as soon as possible, so they are with you.  When you have your quiet time with God, reflect on them, even do the study questions.  And when you do, pay particular attention to #5, how can we share "not only the gospel of God but our lives as well" with those around us and what might this mean in terms of time, energy, and vulnerability? and #8, how are the themes of evangelism and gentleness related?  Then consider some practical ways to do #8 (question #9).

Questions #8 & #9 are what got me so excited!!!  When is there a better time to be gentle in our evangelism than when we are talking about a baby?!  The birth of a baby, the meager setting, the gathering of animals & shepherd boys, the total lack of fanfare among society just oozes gentleness.  And then, the giving of gifts to a child from foreign kings and the fact that their giving has remained an important role in our celebration.  The whole idea of giving to others and giving glory to God for His gift to us, is one way to be a gentle evangelist!  

Even as we are hounded with "Buy-Buy-Buy", the true Spirit of Christmas remains.  Look for it and encourage it.   How do you or will you spread the Word this Advent season? 

I encourage you to share how you do 'gentle evangelism' in the Comment section.  You just might inspire someone with your words :)  Remember, if you are reading this in e-mail, you have to go to the website (click the title to go there or type www.reonlineblog.blogspot.com into your browser).  I look forward to reading them!

Your Partner in Ministry,
Shelly


"Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body"  ~Proverbs 16:24



No comments: