Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Week 2 - A Confident Heart - Chapters 3 & 4

"I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light so that you can understand the wonderful future he has promised to those he called.  I want you to realize what a rich and glorious inheritance he has given to his people."  Ephesians 1:18

Welcome!  I am so glad to be on this journey with you!  Grab a cup of coffee (or tea) and dive in to Chapters 3 & 4 of Renee Swope's A Confident Heart, if you haven't already.

There are several ideas, phrases, and one particular word that Renee uses many times throughout these chapters.  Do you know what they are?  I have them underlined, sometimes 2 or 3 times, in blue, black, & red ink; I've made notes in the margins & taken notes on paper about them.  What do they mean for you?

As Renee's very personal story unfolds, do you find yourself identifying with any part of her situation?  I certainly identified with the notion of defining myself through the eyes of others:  parents, friends, teachers, my husband, and my children. I calculated my worth based on who I was to them and through their eyes.   As I started down the journey of discovering why I hurt, because I did despite the wonderful life I lived, I realized it was because I chose to let negative thoughts dwell in my heart.  The doubt grew, my failings grew (even if some were just in my head) and my self-worth dwindled.  Like Renee, I had heard that "God loves me" many times, I knew that my parents loved me unconditionally, but for some reason I allowed self-doubt to live in me.  I sought fulfillment in trying to be the perfect daughter, wife, mother, crafter, home maker, and entrepreneur!  I enjoyed discovering all the facets of doing those things, but there was still an emptiness inside my heart.  I was busy, but not fulfilled!  And, as Renee points out on page 55, I was the one who was not allowing Jesus to look into those parts of my heart where I most needed Him.

What can we do when doubt and uncertainty start to creep into our hearts?  Renee's "When..., then..." statements are a wonderful way to help us "stop and ask Jesus to help us see the worth we are placing in other things and the worth we are seeking in other people."   A few examples can be found on page 60.  I encourage you to write some of your own "when, then" statements, tuck them in your car, your purse, and anywhere else you might need a quick reminder of God's unconditional love.

We continue with "Sam's" story, too.  She shows us how Jesus can take us from "mess" to "messenger" by allowing Him into the broken places in our hearts.  And although Sam's transformation takes place within a few lines of Scripture, Renee reminds us that "...finding satisfaction in Christ and living in the security of His promises is a daily process." (pg.61).

Here is a list of a few other points that I am still absorbing from these chapters!:

*"unfailing love" is mentioned 32 times in the Bible and is only ever attributed to God

*falling into the patterns of this world's thinking, losing sight of Jesus as my confidence and completion, can happen over a period of minutes!  Oh my, that has happened to me and afterwards I wonder, "What the heck just happened?!  How did I get to that low place so quickly?"

*Jeremiah 29 sounds a lot like Jeremiah 1!

*The "sin of my unrealistic expectations" - ouch! 

*Ephesians 4 - we meet again, and I am so glad for it!

Our new challenge for this study!  
Whether you can attend on Friday morning or are doing this at your own pace through the blog: Please post your favorite quote from this week's reading in the comment section below. It can be something that inspires you, that made you say "ah ha!", or any thing that struck you as you were reading.  If you have more than one, list them all.  There were some real treasures this week! It is a great way to stay connected throughout the week!   No need to wait to receive my post, either.  Add your comments whenever the spirit moves you by visiting www.reonlineblog.blogspot.com.
I can't wait to read your comments!!

Your Partner in Ministry,
Shelly

"Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."  Proverbs 16:24











1 comment:

Shelly said...

I have a few favorite quotes from both of these chapters! "Salvation is a one-time decision, but finding satisfaction in Christ and living in the security of His promises is a daily process."pg 61 Until I read that & really understood it, I thought I was not a good Christian because I fell into "old patterns" everyday.
"If you are living and breathing, God has a purpose for you." pg. 80 WOW! I need to hear that as much as I need to hear that I'm loved! Even though I don't always know my purpose, knowing that God has a purpose for me, is enough (though getting to that place of peace wasn't an easy journey).