Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Week 3 - A Confident Heart - Chapters 5 & 6

Jesus said to the people, "I am the light of the world.  If you follow me, you won't be stumbling through the darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life."  John 8:12


Welcome to the third week of Renee Swope's A Confident Heart study!  I am so glad you are here and can't wait to share this time with you.

How are you doing?  It has been, as always, a bit of a crazy week at my house.  A little less crazy than some weeks, but with company over the weekend, meetings, extra phone calls & e-mails, a half-day of school in the middle of the week and my computer acting up, it's become a bit less serene than I had planned!

It's times like these that I am so grateful for you and our study.  Especially this weeks' chapters!  Chapter 5 discusses focus and perspective.  The first time I read this chapter, a few years ago, my focus was on my defects about 70% of the time, sometimes 100% of the time!  It was dark in there - in the shadow of my doubts about being a good wife, mother, daughter, friend, and Christian.  Can you relate?      

Paul says, "the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace." (Romans 8:6), so I had to change my perspective.  
We need to turn toward the light; turn toward God; turn toward truth (pg. 93).  Maybe it seems obvious, but it's not always so easy.  It's something we have to chose to do, but first we have to realize that we have turned away from the light.  This is the part that sometimes catches me by surprise.

Comparison, Conflict, and Criticism pave the road to doubt.  These three C's creep into my day and often I don't even realize it!  They are sly and can trigger my doubt in a matter of minutes.  Have you been there?

What are we to do when we find ourselves on the road to doubt or living in the shadow of doubt?  Jeremiah 29:12-13 tells us to, "...call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."  And if you wonder, 'well, how do I do that?',  chapter 3 introduced us to Renee's "When, then" statements.  They are a wonderfully practical thing we can do to remind us of God's promises, to help us turn toward the light, and see ourselves from His perspective.  

The "D" word: doubt!  When it's used to stir up negative feelings and thoughts about ourselves and others, it can be very destructive.  It's even suggested that sometimes 'doubt' disguises itself as 'worry' or 'fear'.  Oh my!  I have always been a worrier!  However, I am learning that the more I stay in God's word and believe His promises, the less I worry.  I didn't say I never worry; I still do, but I also pray, so the worry & doubt no longer overshadow my joy!  God's promises have turned me from a "worrier" to a "warrior"! 

Throughout the book, Renee has some suggestions on how we can remind ourselves of God's promises.  The "when, then" statements on page 60 & in chapter 12, the chart as compiled by Dr. Neil Anderson on pages 107 & 108, and "AM/FM" statements on pages 113-114.

And now I'm going to borrow an amazing idea from Stephanie Clayton over at Proverbs 31!  She is also leading a Bible study of A Confident Heart and she has come up with a "No Fail Pail!"  
"What is that?" you ask.  It is a great way to USE all of these Biblical reminders of God's love & promises!  Check out her short video here!  I will have a copy of her beautiful "when,then" statements to get you started on your own "No Fail Pail!"  

Finally, we have come to the part where I get to hear from you!!!  
What was your favorite thing(s) in these chapters?  Post them all in the Comments.  Do you have a "when, then" statement that you've been using this week?  Would you like to share it?  I'd love to read it!  I know, I know: many of us get together and talk about this on Friday, but not all of us get to do that.  Post your comments to stay connected to everyone in our group!  Remember, if you are reading this in your e-mail, click here to go to the blog to make your comment.

Praying that your shadow of doubt shrinks as you turn towards Jesus, who is Light!

Your Partner in Ministry,
Shelly

"Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body!"  Proverbs 16:24





No comments: