Thursday, March 13, 2014

My One Word - Chapters 7 & 8

"Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see."  Hebrews 11:1

This study is going fast!  I don't know about you, but I feel like even though I can get the reading done, the reflection questions will take a little more time to really sink in.  I suppose that's why this is a year long endeavour and not just a 4 or 8 week study!  Hang in there and remember, it's about the process, not perfection.

Chapter 7, "Let It Morph" is all about staying OPEN (my word for the chapter) to what God is doing in  us through our word.  Proverbs 16:9 says "We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps." I know, it seems contradictory to say 'stay focused' AND 'stay open'!  Staying focused on our word, which is chosen with help and direction from God, will begin the work and staying open to what God has intended for us will sustain us and "bring about his purposes and our maturity" (MOW, 101).  As you journal your journey throughout the year, you will begin to see how staying open to what God wants will allow your word to morph.

Chapter 8, "Seeing Through Your Word" is all about TRAINING!  I was never an athlete, but my children are!  Training is something I have learned a great deal about as an adult and I'm trying my best to pass on this newly acquired knowledge to my children.  Training, not just physically, but mentally & spiritually, is very important!  It is how we can be strong when we are put to the test.  The way we think, they way we view the world, the way we react to the world is a little bit 'nature' (how we're wired) and a little bit (maybe a lotta bit) 'nurture'.  We are intelligent and can train our brains.  Mike goes even further and says that we can also, with God's help, through the lens of our one word, train our hearts.  On page 107 Mike puts it this way, "what we see determines the direction we will go.  The attention of our eyes focuses the affection of our hearts.   The eyes of our heart, once enlightened... show us a reality that our physical eyes cannot see.  A reality based on the words and promises of God."  Of course, all of this is dependent on staying focused on our word and staying open to what God has in store!

Once you have a word, write in your journal your reason for choosing that word.  What inspired, drove, or impressed you about the word? What hopes do you have for the year?  Answering these questions now will be helpful in the weeks and months to come.  It will serve as a reminder of your intentions and help you to see how your word morphs over the year.

I would love to know what your word is and why you chose it!  Please comment below to share with us!

As soon as I have settled on my word, I will let you know!  Remember, it's a process not a race; it may take some time to settle on your word for the year.  Stick with it, pray, and let God guide you to His word for you.

Your Partner in Ministry,
Shelly
honey

"Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body." Proverbs 16:24


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paula, was this short enough for you?

I'm quite behind on my reading, but have my word (you'll have to wait to tomorrow to hear it! When it came to me is a good story too).

xo, Janice

PS - Lisa C. - I am definitely the queen of commenting!