Monday, April 20, 2015

ReAwakening 1 John 3

"See how very much our heavenly Father loves us, for he allows us to be called his children, and we really are!"  1 John 3:1a

Welcome!  This week we are reading the third chapter of 1 John.  I am so glad you are here!  After the beautiful weekend we had, this rainy day just screams 'grab a cup of coffee and curl up with a good book'.  And what better book is there than THE Good Book!?

Something very cool has happened... The official reading calendar of my church and the beginning of this study perfectly coincided!  I was practically giddy when I figured it out!  This week we are reading 1 John 3 and the reading in church was from 1 John 3.  Now, the sermon can be on any part of either lessons or the Gospel, so just because 1 John is being read in church doesn't mean it's being preached.  However, this week our pastor, Tom Kildea, did talk about the first three verses of 1 John 3!  Cue angelic voices.

Click here to listen to Pastor Tom's sermon.  When I checked this morning (Monday) it wasn't uploaded, but I'm sure it will be there soon.  Follow the link and click on "Pastor Tom Kildea for April 19".  I know listening to a sermon not on Sunday can seem a bit strange, but turn it on and listen while you're doing something around the house or driving to work (or where ever the day is taking you).  Let me forewarn you, it's not your typical talk - he begins at a place that might have you scratching your head and wondering if you're really listening to a minister.  But, stick with it and you'll see how it all fits together.  It's worth a listen!

One of the things I observed about the chapter as a whole is John's repetition.  He seems to say the same things he said in earlier chapters.  And he repeats himself within the chapter.  This can lead to skimming.  Resist the urge to gloss over passages you think you're heard before.  This is the beauty of the color coding: you have to slow down and think about what you're reading.  Even if you color code it the same as earlier, you've read it & thought about it.  Or you may read it in a new light and see something more, underling it in a different color.  Remember, this is meant to be a helpful tool, not a stumbling block.

To follow-up my observation above with an application: I am grateful for the repetition.  It reminds me that I'm not the only one who doesn't 'get it' the first time around.  The people of the early church were in the thick of it, some of them had heard Jesus speak, they were caught up in the movement, they personally knew the disciples, and yet they still had to be reminded over and over again of the Good News of Christ.  They needed to hear that they were children of God; they had to be reminded to link their words with actions and what those actions should look like.  Even mature believers need to hear and read the teachings many times.  That's a comfort to me!  And a lesson for parenting and in all relationships.  It helps me to have patience and grace with others, especially my children.  It awakens in me a desire to give to the world what Christ freely gives to me.  It turns my feet down the path to living as Christ lived, with the reassurance that when I stumble, I will be forgiven.  I think this is what it means to live as Christ lived: to give to the world what we get from Him.

As you color code and SOAK in 1 John 3, come here often to share your thoughts with all of us.  Stay connected and create fellowship as we read the Good News that John is sharing with the early church and with us.

Your Partner in Ministry,

Shelly
warrior

"Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."  Proverbs 16:24




2 comments:

Corine B said...

Here's where I first found the contradiction of chapter 2 regarding sin. After saying in chapter 1:

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

And saying in chapter 2:
But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;

John goes on to write in chapter 3:
8 Everyone who commits sin is a child of the devil; for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The Son of God was revealed for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. 9 Those who have been born of God do not sin, because God’s seed abides in them;[m] they cannot sin, because they have been born of God.

It was enough to make my head spin. Instead of wrapping myself up in this illogical take on sin and who sins, I headed right for my favorite parts of this reading - the love bits. My top 3 love verses:

#3 - 1 See what love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God; and that is what we are.

#2 - 11 For this is the message you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

#1 - 18 Little children, let us love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action . . . 16 We know love by this, that he laid down his life for us—and we ought to lay down our lives for one another. 17 How does God’s love abide in anyone who has the world’s goods and sees a brother or sister[q] in need and yet refuses help?

#1 is my favorite because it is a call to action. It is not merely enough to talk of love or passively love others - true love requires action. I read this and it makes perfect sense to me. It was the way I was raised, it is a great summary of Christianity as I understand it. Materialism may have been an issue in John's time - it amazes me that no matter how things change, some things remain the same. As we celebrate Earth Day, verses 16 and 17 outline a Christian action plan - we should be able to lay down our lives (of over-consumption) for others. Using the natural resources and cheap labor of poorer countries for our cheap stuff while they struggle and toil is not right.

I try to remind the HS kids that this religion they think is staid and old fashioned is really a radical call to action. Jesus was a revolutionary, his followers were revolutionaries. His words are no less extreme in 2015 - perhaps more so. Love is not staid and old fashioned, it is tough and demanding. And worth it.

Peace out,
Corine

Shelly said...

Corine, THAT is why you are a great youth leader! Your insights, observations, and the way you live out your faith is real & relevant. I agree, John's talk of sin is confusing, to put it mildly. When it gets confusing, I remind myself that John was writing a letter to a specific group of people in a specific time & place. Although we can relate to much of it, there are things that we're just not going 'to get'. Not unlike the humor in Shakespeare's comedies! Some of it we get, some of it we don't because it's trapped in time. I did the same thing you did - focused on what made sense to me. We can get bogged down in trying to 'figure everything out', but I don't think that's the intention of any Bible study. We study God's word so we have a better understanding of who He is, what He has done for us,and what we are called to do. You said it best, "true love requires action". It also gives us courage (through stories of people not too unlike ourselves) of to go do that!
Thank you for your inspiring comments!!