Monday, April 6, 2015

ReAwakening!

"We are writing these things so that our joy will be complete."  1 John 1:4

I am very excited to announce our next study: ReAwakening! 


First, let me introduce you to the model we will be following: GoodMorningGirls.org  Click on the link for a complete explanation of "The Bible Coloring Chart" and the SOAK method.  We will be using these methods, so please become familiar with them.  Courtney also includes a list of the pens, pencils, highlighters, and the Bible she uses.  None of these are necessary, but you may find them helpful.  Use some, none, or all of her suggestions.  The best way to begin is to start where you are, with what you have, and go from there. 


There are 2 things that are absolute MUST haves:
1) a Bible!  Grab your favorite translation (I find that a translation I can easily understand to be most helpful when reading on my own).   A study Bible can be helpful, but not necessary.  If you need an excuse to buy one - you're welcome.
2) a journal!  Whether it's loose paper stapled together, a homemade book, binder or an official looking journal: get one!  I bet you can find some cute DIY journals on Pinterest.  Let me say it again: you need a journal!  You will discover amazing things when you slow down and put pen to paper.  "We are writing these things so that our joy will be complete" (1John 1:4)


Yes, that's right - we are reading directly from the Bible.  Don't let that scare you away.  We'll take it slow, using a few proven and easy techniques, and support each other every verse of the way.  I am hopeful that starting this together in April will lay a sturdy foundation to continue throughout the summer.  "Good Morning Girls" (Courtney's group who's model we're following) was developed specifically with busy women in mind who can't always connect in person - so I think it's perfect for EVERYONE and especially over the summer!
Be sure you are "subscribed" to the blog so that you don't miss a post and can "chat" with everyone via the comment section.  The beauty of this is how accessible and interactive it can be, even while we're all in different places keeping pace with our busy lives!  You can do this at your own pace, too!  Even if you leave a comment on a past post, I will get it and respond.  It is a very positive use of technology and a great way to stay connected.  It's also the perfect introduction to Bible study!  So, if you've been putting it off or want to encourage a friend - WELCOME!  I am so glad you are here!


Our new study will begin with the book of 1 John.  This is a great place to start and why the title of this post is "ReAwakening!"  According to my study Bible, 1 John was "written by the apostle John when he was an older man, but not yet exiled to the island of Patmos.  He writes this letter to no particular church, but was sent to several Gentile congregations, and it was also written to all believers everywhere" (that's us!).  The purpose of this letter is to "reassure Christians in their faith and to counter false teachings".
I don't know about you, but I sure could use some reassurance!  A reawakening, of sorts, of the longing & courage to be who God created me to be.



This week read 1 John, chapter 1
Follow Courtney's SOAK method and think in ink when you're finished reading.  If you want to do the underlining & highlighting, great!  I am underlining in colors and I find it very helpful.  I also use the colored pencils in my journal :)
One departure we're going to make from the GMG model is that we will be staying with one chapter for an entire week (though some really small chapters will be combined later in our readings).  I told you we are taking it slow!  Make an effort to read the chapter every day, or at least several time throughout the week.  On the subsequent days that you read, choose a different Scripture and follow the SOAK method.  By the end of the week you will have anywhere from 3 - 7 pieces of scripture that you have allowed to soak into your soul!  Feel free to share these with the group at any time via the comment section!  For those meeting on Friday morning, bring your Bible & journal and we'll share our observations and applications!
 
A few words on the SOAK method:
I really like the SOAK method (it's also known as SOAP).  Courtney uses the "K" to stand for "kneel & pray".  I love the image of SOAKing in God's word (being submersed in it) and SOAKing-in God's word (bringing it into my soul).  And although I'm not one to literally pray on my knees, I am reminded to humble myself before the Lord with the idea of kneeling & praying.  I need that reminder daily!  It forces me to slow down and be present.


I just can't wait to see what God has in store for us as we journey through His word!  Keep your heart and mind open to His calling.  And SOAK in His teachings, as we soak in the sun and warmth of the days ahead!


Your Partner in Ministry,
Shelly
warrior


"Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."  Proverbs 16:24

1 comment:

Shelly said...

On my second day of reading this chapter, I focused on vs 4, the opening verse to the blog. At first I didn't know who "we" were, but a few days later this popped into my head: As Christians living in a post Resurrection world we are both sinner & saved at the exact same time. We live in a paradox! We are both the author and the audience. We can testify about Christ, our faith, our beliefs with the hope that it will be used to encourage others. At the same time we are the "others" in need of encouragement. We need daily to hear of the hope of Christ's resurrection and his forgiveness. We need to be reminded of the good things the Lord has done in the lives of others and in our own lives!