Monday, May 18, 2015

ReAwakening 3 John 1-2

"Dear friend, you are doing a good work for God when you take care of the traveling teachers who are passing through, even though they are strangers to you."  3 John 1:5

I am so glad you are here today.  Welcome!  Kick your shoes off and have have a cup of tea with me.  I wish you all were knocking on my door right now.  But since you'll most likely be reading this at different times (even on different days), let's imagine that we are all just stopping by to chat, right here on the blog.  Our virtual living room :)

So, today I read 3 John.  It's a nice letter to Gaius, a friend of John's, who has been very kind in hosting traveling teachers.  He opens his home to them, showing them hospitality and friendship, even though they are strangers to him.  This kindness has gotten back to John and he was so moved, that he wrote a letter to his friend commending and encouraging him in continuing to do good.  John also mentions Diotrephes, who apparently is doing the exact opposite!  And lets Gaius know that he should not be influenced by this bad example, even though Diotrephes is a leader within a church.

Hospitality is one of the lessons we can take away from this reading.  But, today I am led to something else.

This exchange got me to thinking...  How often do I wonder if I'm doing the right thing, especially when I know of a leader or successful someone, doing the opposite.  It raises a lot of questions, maybe some over thinking and doubt.  What a blessing it is when a confirmation of what I'm doing comes along.  Sometimes it's in a note, a piece of Scripture, a brief exchange with a friend, a thank you from a stranger, or an affirmation from a loved one.  I don't do good works for the praise or applause, but it's nice to know I'm on the right track.  When these moments occur, I hear God's voice in them.  I hear His reassurance when He knows I am in doubt.

Stop and think for a minute....
Have you ever received encouragement at just the right time?
Has anyone ever said to you, "I really needed to hear that!"?
I don't know about you, but I think those are times when the Holy Spirit moves us to encourage others.  We are called to live in community with one another, love each other (John mentions this again) and support the church.  John tells us, "Follow only what is good. Remember that those who do good prove that they are God's children."  3 John 11, in part.  The proof is in the fact that we do these good works out of gratitude and love, not as a way of racking up points to earn our way into the Kingdom.

Do you recall a time when you received encouragement at just the right time?  I'd love to hear about it over a cup of tea!  Post it in the comments and I'll comment back.  We all need encouragement at times.  The best place to get it is through the Word of God; Scripture always encourages us to do good.  But, it is comforting to hear it from others, through the working of the Holy Spirit.

Your Partner in Ministry,

Shelly
warrior

"Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."  Proverbs 16:24




No comments: