Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Tasty Tuesday

"He was a bold man that first ate an oyster."  Jonathan Swift

Did you ever wonder who decided to first eat an oyster, or clam or fish, or many things for that matter?!  I mean, who picks up a rock-looking thing, pries it open, sees a slimy glob and says, "Yum!  Let's eat!"    Okay, maybe it was out of desperation or perhaps they saw an otter eating one.  But, raspberries on a thorny bush look far more appetizing than a rubbery blob inside a seashell.

When it comes to food I am not bold.  I do not eat oysters, raw or cooked!  I just can't.  There are, in fact, many foods I just can't seem to stomach, for various reasons: smell, texture, taste, and how it makes me feel.  I know, within minutes, if something I ate will make me sick.  My body reacts very quickly to things it doesn't like!  Over the years I have learned to notice this with my nose before actually eating it, to avoid complications later.  I don't consider myself a picky eater, but I have to admit to having a more delicate constitution.  That does not stop me, however, from trying new dishes or eating local favorites.  While on a tropical island I always eat seafood, I just opt for dishes prepared without mushrooms, green pepper and loads of garlic (all things that make me ill).  When in Colorado I ate like a cowboy, though I didn't go for the Bison unmentionables when a plate was ordered to share at the table!

When it comes to traveling, I envy people who eagerly tuck into the local fare without any hesitation.  To be able to experience a place or a culture through it's favorite foods is one of the best ways to imerse yourself!  In a few days my son will board a plane to France to visit, explore, experience and taste the history and culture of that country.  I have always been careful to expose and encourage my children to try new things, including food.  They eat things I don't, can handle far spicier foods, and will try most things.  Although my son likes to separate his food (think divided plate) and eat one thing at a time, I hope his time in France will include savoring that country's delicious gastronomic offerings.  I have no doubt he will devour crepes and croissants (family favorites), but hopefully he'll get to also enjoy a few authentic French meals.

I will be off on an adventure, too this summer!  My husband and I will be spending a few days in San Francisco to celebrate a milestone birthday!  Having perused the tour book and the Internet, I think I'll have a more difficult time with the food in SanFran, than my son will in France!  I can't pronounce the names of many of the restaurants on the list of "Top 100 Place to Eat", which can't be good, with food I've never heard of and some I have and know I can't eat!  But, this will not deter me.  I have no doubt we will find scrumptious food and fabulous dining.  There seems to be hundreds of restaurants in and around the city; it's really quite overwhelming.  I don't need anything fancy or touristy or especially elegant (though one fancy dinner might be nice).  I prefer to move and pick when I'm traveling: a taste of this and a taste of that, leaving room to sample a wide variety of food, while not be committed to any one thing.  I enjoy bringing home from my travels a new recipe, whether inspired by the place I'm visiting or an actual recipe.  I can't wait to see what inspiration San Francisco holds for our family's dinner table!

When you travel, how do eat?  Do you look for the closest American restaurants abroad?  Do you stick to what you know (in other parts of this continent)?  Do you ask where the locals eat?  Do you dig in to dishes you have no idea what they are but have been assured they are authentic and delicious?  Do you eat simple or indulge in fancy meals?

On a more personal note: if you've been to San Francisco, where should we eat?  In such a foodie city, the possibilities are endless and we'd love personal, first-hand-experience recommendations!

I hope this summer holds some food adventures for you.  Even if you can't travel, you can "visit" a place through authentic meals.  Maybe you can try a new local restaurant specializing in another country's food.  Perhaps a "world food" day once a week, where you prepare authentic foreign dishes for your family.  

When you can't get out and explore the world, bring the world to your kitchen!!

Your Partner in Ministry,

Shelly
warrior

"Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."  Proverbs 16:24






No comments: