Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Encouragement for INS Chapter 3!

"But those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble thermselves will be exalted."  Matther 23:12

How are you doing with Capter 3?  I must confess that I find myself with a knot in my stomach.  Humility and service just don't come naturally to me.  And it's not that I think I'm all that great at anything, but putting others first with humility...?!  It's a lesson that is slowly growing (like a tree, not a flower) in me.

When I read the scripture in questions 3, 4, and 5 I am reminded that, although I may not be a "mover and a shaker" in this world, I also feel I fall very far short of what Jesus is teaching here.  I want to be a good Christian, but oh please! I don't like reading these passages.  I don't want to serve humbly - I want to be important; that's how to get ahead, to feel loved and respected.  Servants are invisible, they get no credit... what kind of life is that?  Certainly not what we mortals crave!  Yet, it's what Jesus teaches.

Jesus turns the world upside down!  He is a revolutionary!  His teachings, contrary to wordly thought, resonate within the soul, stir something deep within and bring joy.  We were made in God's image, so we are always drawn to Him. 

If you are like me and want to close the Bible every time I read that I have to humbly serve, do not be discouraged!  Keep reading - let Jesus' words roll around in your brain, sink into your heart, and take root in your soul.  That's when the knot starts to form - as the seed of service and humility takes root and starts to grow.  It has to push out the worldly teachings of selfishness, recognition, and importance.  Yep, that will take some time and may be a little 'uncomfortable' (you know the kind of uncomfortable the dentist uses when he's drilling a cavity!) But it will be worth it!  God's promises are not empty and His rewards are amazing!

Keep reading. Keep writing. Keep meditating on the Word Keep trying.
 
God's word is here to lift us up, to remind us of His promises to us, and to encourage us.  Jesus was sent to teach us and to save us.  Keep striving to learn the lessons, because He has already bought our salvation.

Come to the blog (www.reonlineblog.blogspot.com) and post how reading about humility and service has affected you this week!  Do you have a favorite passage or one that makes you a little (or a lot) uncomfortable?  Tell about a time you were blessed by serving.  I'd love to hear about it.!  And I'm sure your Yahweh Sisters would, too!

Your Partner in Ministry,
Shelly




2 comments:

JaniceK said...

Well how about this! I AM POSTING A COMMENT! And I want you all to know that I have read the chapter and already finished the homework and that was done of Tuesday! Obviously I have not learned anything from what I read, b/c I am boasting about it. But I think I am more boasting to myself, b/c it is so unlike me to have these things done on time let alone early (maybe the "competition" I need to kill is the competition I play with myself).

So I am looking forward to this discussion, Shelly. B/c I don't get this material. I find it very difficult. That one passage makes me think of the jihadists...isn't that what they do? Leave their families and become a suicide bomber, expecting great reward in heaven?

Then this morning, I read Cinderella to Jenny. And it sounded very familiar. A humble servant. She served w/o complaint. And then the prince comes and she lives happily ever after. As a grown up I have come to believe how false fairy tales are, but yet these stories seem so similar!

And does this mean that I shouldn't redo my bathroom b/c I should be humble and just accept it for the plain and ugly place that it is?

So ladies! I am expecting you to have all the answers for me.

xo

Shelly said...

Love your comments! This is difficult stuff and I'm so glad I have our group (live & online) to work through it together. And your connection to Cinderella - yep, those fairy tales are far more complicated as we get older. My oldest didn't like the whole "princess" thing until she started to see how stong, courageous, and sacrifical the story really was.
And I say "yes" to the bathroom makeover! Because I'm desperately trying to get mine done, too! LOL