Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Tasty Tuesday

"I scream! You scream!  We all scream for ice cream!"

As summer winds down, one favorite memory for many people is indulging in ice cream!  It's the perfect summer treat: smooth & creamy & refreshingly cold on a hot summer's day.  Everyone has their favorite kind: soft serve, hard hand scooped, and gelato.  Personally, I like them all and one of my favorites is vanilla ice cream on a soft, warm waffle!  

Ice cream comes in every flavor you can imagine!  From the standard chocolate & vanilla to the classic strawberry & butter pecan to the exotic mango and the strange lumberjack (waffle cone, maple syrup & crumbled bacon).  You name it and someone, somewhere probably makes an ice cream flavor of it.  Even how you eat it caters to an individual's fancy: you can get it on a stick, in a sandwich (chocolate, cookie, waffle), a cone (traditional or waffle), a bowl and even layered in cake.  You can top it with nuts, fruits, candy & syrups!  It's probably one of the most individual desserts ever invented!  

From the ringing bell of the Ice Cream Truck to the long lines at the local ice cream parlor, it's a summer treat enjoyed by the masses!   People make a living creating this delicious treat and some have built an empire on it!

This summer I discovered a "new" ice cream while browsing Pinterest!  That form of social media can really cut into my productivity.  But, I've made some great discoveries and No-Churn Ice Cream is one of them.  This latest craze in dessert has probably been around for some time, but it's popularity is back in the spotlight!  Just like traditional ice cream, you can create any flavor imaginable.  The differences being: 1) it's base is only 3 ingredients and 2) the only kitchen appliance you need is a mixer.  It's so simple it's dangerous!  Don't believe me?  Check out my Pinterest Board dedicated to Ice Cream.  I used the basic chocolate ice cream recipe to create chocolate marshmallow, one of my family's favorites.  This is something my family will be requesting (or making themselves) from now on!
No-Churn Chocolate Marshmallow Ice Cream

As much as I love this no-churn ice cream craze, traditional ice cream is worth the extra effort on occasion.  Especially if you have summer-fresh fruit on hand!  There's nothing like fresh peaches, sweet & juicy & oh so delicious!  God knew what he was doing when he created peaches, down to the enticing soft yellow-red of the outside, while the inside is a glorious golden color!  I don't know how anyone can't like them!  My son being one of those people - so strange!  That just means more for the rest of us!  We had a few peaches that were ripening faster than we could devour them, so I decided to get out my ice cream maker and churn some homemade peach ice cream!  My mouth is watering just thinking about it!  It certainly lived up to the high expectation of creating memories of summer's favorite dessert!  And the combination of ice cream and fresh peaches could only be descried as "Mmmmm".

Homemade Traditional Vanilla-Peach Ice Cream





I hope you'll give the no-churn ice cream a try - your friends and family will be impressed!  If you share it with them, that is :)  And if you have an ice cream maker that's collecting dust, get it out and churn some delicious homemade ice cream!  

Share your favorite ice cream flavor in the comments below!  Do you have a favorite ice cream shop?  I'd love to check it out (if it's close).  In my town everyone goes to Denville Dairy, it's the summer (spring & fall) gathering place, especially after sporting events.

I hope you enjoy these last few official days of summer!  Packing some homemade ice cream into your freezer may help you hold on to summer, even into autumn.

Your Partner in Ministry,

Shelly
warrior

"Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."  Proverbs 16:24  









No comments: