Monday, February 18, 2013

Week 7 of INS - Ch 8 - Get By With a Little Help from Your Friends

"Two people can accomplish more than twice as much as one; they get a better return for their labor.  If one person falls, the other can reach out and help.  But people who are alone when they fall are in real trouble.  A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer.  Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken." Ecc. 4:9-10,12

H-E-L-P spelled out on the beach; a signal fire in case a ship or plane is spotted; an orange flag attached to the car; the car hood open; waving arms; the international sign for choking: all are signals to others that help is required.  In these cases, immediate and desperate help.  These are situations where we have no problem asking for help from others.  Even as we try to help ourselves, we recognize that in order to be free from the present circumstances, assistance will be needed. 

But what about less dire circumstances?  What about less obvious, but difficult times?  Are we willing to signal for help when the kitchen is a wreck, family members have to be in 3 different places as the same time, or we're feeling exhausted & overwhelmed by emotions?  All too often, women prefer to try to do it all, all by ourselves.  I often wonder where this attitude comes from.  Is it a "modern woman" way of thinking?  Or have we always been this way?  Either way, it's something that seems to be an important aspect of being a woman in the 21st century.  And having the right smart phone will help you.  Have you seen that commercial!?  Oh my!

As we've been learning throughout this book and our study of Scripture, the way the world works is NOT the way God works.  Stop and re-read the scripture at the top.  And when you see that uber-productive commercial for a particular smart phone, repeat the scripture again! 

This is my favorite chapter!  Asking for help with my kids, projects, and housework did not come easily, but was forced upon me.  With a better understanding of how God created each of us to live together in community, to help each other, asking for help and giving it has become easier for me over the years. 

I hope you enjoy and learn as much from this chapter as I have! 


If you'd like a timeline for the week, here's what I suggest.


Monday (today):  Read chapter 8.  Take notes, underline, and come to the blog to respond to what you have read.  This is an important part of doing an on-line study: creating community through the Blog :)

Tuesday:  Questions #1 & #2.  I love the second part to question #2.  I hope you will share your thoughts on this both on the blog and in person (if you attend on Friday morning).

Wednesday: Questions #3 & #4.  Great questions for our modern way of life!

Thursday: Questions #5 & #6.  Note that there is no #5!  My best guess is that it should be where it says, "Paul writes in Galatians 6:2-5".  And in fact, there really is no question, so ponder the scripture and respond to it with whatever is stirred up in you.

Friday: If you are available, attend Re: at Redeemer Lutheran Church at 9:15am.  If Friday mornings find you elsewhere, come to the blog when you can (the beauty of online study) and share your favorite aspect of this chapter or tell how this chapter will impact your life moving forward.  I can't wait to read your responses! 

Thank you for helping the Re: Bible study and Blog be great!

Your Partner in Ministry,
Shelly

Here's the lyrics to that famous song by the Beetles, "Help!"
courtesy of www.lyrics007.com


Help, I need somebody,
Help, not just anybody,
Help, you know I need someone, help.

When I was younger, so much younger than today,
I never needed anybody's help in any way.
But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured,
Now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors.

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being round.
Help me, get my feet back on the ground,
Won't you please, please help me.

And now my life has changed in oh so many ways,
My independence seems to vanish in the haze.
But every now and then I feel so insecure,
I know that I just need you like I've never done before.

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being round.
Help me, get my feet back on the ground,
Won't you please, please help me.

When I was younger, so much younger than today,
I never needed anybody's help in any way.
But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured,
Now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors.

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being round.
Help me, get my feet back on the ground,
Won't you please, please help me, help me, help me, oh.




No comments: